Field Township was organized in 1906. It was named for James A. Field, possibly the first settler in what eventualy became known as Cook. James Field published the Northland Farmer, first issue published December 10, 1903. James A Field is one of the entries on the 1905 Minnesota Census for Ashawa (renamed Cook in 1910). Mr. Field’s occupation in 1905 was postmaster. Mr Field did not live in Ashawa many years - he left September 1908 and the 1910 census found him in Spokane, Washington.

Settlers arriving at the train station in Cook traveled along the Little Fork River by boat and canoe portaging the 5 rapids on the Little Fork as it crosses Field Township. Many of them also traveled up the Rice River from its confluence with the Little Fork.

The first schoolhouse was a 2 room log cabin on the Homer Reese homestead. A house raising bee was held by neighbors. Homer Reese, a druggist from Virginia, lived in one room with his family. The other was the school room with long benches and tables for desks. Each family paid him $2 per child for instruction. In 1905, the school was in session for only a few weeks but 1906-1907 saw a 6 month school term. Members of this first school included Hugh Hill (founder of Hill Wood Products in Cook) and his brothers Aubrey, Glen and Dan Hill, Arthur and Walter Scott, George, Marie, and Agnes Hollen, Anton and Olaf Haugen, Tyyne Mattson, Anna Amundson, Fred Pernu, and Leslie Beatty.

In the fall of 1907 a new frame school building was constructed by the newly organized school board. School was held here until consolidated with Cook School. The first teacher was Anna Louise Anderson. Two of the early teachers, Ida Mathies (Mrs. Ole Leding) and Anna M. Swensen (Mrs. Peter Burtness) married members of the community. The building is now the Field Town Hall although it was moved approximately 100 yards west in 1942 from private property to land purchased from the St Louis County School District. The first 8th grade graduates of the new building were Daniel H Hill, Tyyne Mattson and Hilma Karni. They received a Common School diploma after completing the required State Board examination.

Because families across Field Township were growing, additional schools were added. School was conducted in the home of Oscar Heikkinen until School 19 was completed. That same year, School 21 was built on the Axel Lahti pace and shortly after School 17 was built on the Charles Kjelberg place. In 1932 all schools were consolidated with Cook school ending the one room school era.

Early roads were constructed by homesteaders working out their poll tax. The road that is now State Highway 1 was “Old 11” stretching across to Field Township to the line with Linden Grove, then north to near what is now the junction of US 53 and MN 73. Wien Rd and Samuelson Rd were built the same way.

Field Township was originally comprised of townships 62-18 and 62-19. Township 62-18 was separated from Field Township in 1916 to create Owens Township.